I'm writing you from my cozy little bedroom in Cochabamba, Bolivia. I'm really bad at keeping a blog, but I'm a LITTLE bit better at writing to people, so I figured this is the best way to keep you updated about my life.
I'm studying abroad here in Cochabamba for 3 and a half months. I've already been here for a week, but it feels like it's been so much longer. I've already learned how to get to school and back on the "micros!" Believe me, given how full they get, I feel incredibly accomplished every time I manage to force my way on and off these minibuses. Each bus is "charmingly" decorated with the driver's favorite things. Some examples: Shakira (and other half naked singers), Winnie the Pooh, a fan that says "love, treason, and pain," Jesus, and other colorful posters.
The weather here is practically perfect in every way. Everyday it's around 76 degrees and sunny. With occasional rain at night. Also, we're surrounded by breath-taking mountains. (Pictures to follow soon!)
I started my classes earlier this week. My primary class is called Multiculturalism, Globalization, and Social Change. This class has definitely been a challenge for me, considering it is a full-scale seminar (3 hours+) conducted entirely in Spanish. I can definitely feel myself improving, but my brain is exhausted at the end of each class. After our morning class, I make my way back home for almuerzo (lunch!) with my lovely host brother (more on him later).
I then head BACK to school for my afternoon Spanish classes. Today my Spanish class actually consisted of a field trip to an organization that supports "Trabajadores del Hogar," roughly translated as domestic workers. We heard the stories of several women and about how they came to Cochabamba (often from the rural surrounding pueblas), sometimes having to learn Spanish, and began working as house-keepers in wealthier Cochabamba homes. These women face a lot of barriers to basic civil rights (like minimum wage, benefits, parental-leave, etc.). Only recently was a law passed protecting the rights of these women. One woman spoke about the ongoing fight to achieve equal rights to other workers; there is heavy discrimination against these workers because they are (mostly) indigenous women. This organization has been doing an incredible job of supporting and fighting for these women.
After this field trip, I got back on the crazy-micro, and went home, where I ate dinner with my wonderful host brother Sergio. We've already spent a number of hours debating politics, philosophy, economics, etc. (all in Spanish!). He and his mother (MariaElena), have been so incredibly helpful to me. I feel so at home with them (especially because MariaElena is ALWAYS trying to get us to eat more). I think it's going to be a wonderful semester!
If you read this far, thanks! Please let me know if you want to keep getting emails from me. I don't want to clog your inboxes with my slowly-disintegrating English and rambling stories. I promise the next email will be a bit more coherent. :-)
Be well!
Eliana
(PS I'd also love to hear about what you're up to!)

No comments:
Post a Comment